MICHAEL W. TEICHMAN is a Director in the law firm of Parkowski, Guerke & Swayze, P.A., joining the firm in June 2003. Mr. Teichman practices in the areas of administrative and commercial law, with a concentration in the representation of captive and traditional insurance institutions in regulatory and transactional matters. Mr. Teichman also represents commercial entities in matters involving Delaware environmental and land use regulation, and serves as transaction counsel to Delaware based entities. Mr. Teichman frequently serves as special Delaware counsel in the preparation of Delaware corporate opinions.
Prior to joining Parkowski, Guerke & Swayze, Mr. Teichman was a partner with Reed Smith, LLP, and, prior to entering private practice, Mr. Teichman served as a Deputy Attorney General in the Delaware Department of Justice. During his tenure as a Deputy Attorney General, Mr. Teichman first served in the Criminal Division as a criminal prosecutor, and later represented the Delaware Department of Insurance.
Mr. Teichman has been accepted into the Federation of Regulatory Counsel, a professional organization made up of attorneys possessing special expertise in the field of insurance regulation. Mr. Teichman is the sole member of FORC in Delaware.
Mr. Teichman serves on the board of directors for the Delaware Captive Insurance Association and chairs its legislative committee. Mr. Teichman served on the board of directors for the Concord Rowing Club from 2012 through 2016, and served as President from 2013 through 2015.
Mr. Teichman served as a commissioned officer in the United States Navy from 1986 to 1991.
Areas of Practice
• Administrative Law and Litigation
• Insurance Regulation
• Environmental Law
• Corporate and Commercial Transactions
• Land use
• Secured Lending
• Delaware, 1994
• U.S. District Court District of Delaware, 1998
• U.S. Supreme Court, 2007
• Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
o J.D. - 1994
• Villanova University, Villanova, PA
o B.A. - 1986
• Michael W. Teichman, “Injunctions under the Uniform Insurers’ Liquidation Act: Must We Always Take “No” for an Answer?” Federation of Regulatory Counsel, Inc., FORC Quarterly Journal, Summer 2015
• Michael W. Teichman, "It's All In The Application", Captive Review Delaware Report 2011, Pageant Media, January, 2011
• Michael W. Teichman, "Protection of Third Party Claimants Under the NAIC Model Unfair Claims Settlement Act", Federation of Regulatory Counsel, Inc., FORC Quarterly Journal, Spring, 2009
• Michael W. Teichman, "Captive Insurance? What is it, and Why Should I Care?", Delaware Banker, Fall 2007, Vol. 3, No. 4
• Michael W. Teichman, "Delaware's New Captive Insurance Statute", Federation of Regulatory Counsel, Inc., FORC Quarterly Journal, Spring, 2007
• F. Michael Parkowski and Michael W. Teichman, "Public Participation in the Coastal Zone Act Permitting Process: Too Much of a Good Thing?", Delaware Lawyer, Summer 2004, pp. 18-23
• Michael W. Teichman, "Final Rule to Regulate Bank Sales of Insurance", Delaware Law Weekly, August 21, 2001
• Michael W. Teichman, "Mutual Insurance Holding Company: Should Delaware Pass Legislation to Attract Insurers to the First State", Delaware Law Weekly, July 11, 2000
Professional Associations and Memberships
• Delaware State Bar Association
• Kent County Bar Association
• Federation of Regulatory Counsel