Alan Levin serves as Vice Chair of Locke Lord. He is AV® Preeminent rated by Martindale-HubbellTM as one of the 2014 Top Rated Lawyers in Taxation & Insurance Law. He has also been listed in two Legal Media Group Guides to the World's Leading Lawyers publications, these being: Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers and the Best of the Best 2011 (Insurance and Reinsurance), where he is noted as being within the top six practitioners in the US and also one of the top 35 practitioners worldwide. Alan is listed in 'The International Who's Who of Business
Lawyers - Insurance & Reinsurance 2010'. The listings for these publications are based on thorough and independent research processes.
Alan serves as legal advisor to many sectors of the insurance industry including, but not limited to, domestic, foreign and overseas insurers, and represents clients from all segments of the insurance industry including insurers - both property and casualty and life and health - reinsurers, producers, buyers of insurance, agents, brokers and reinsurance intermediaries, third party administrators, life settlement companies, hedge funds, captive insurance programs, including debt and private equity investments in financial services providers, insurance companies and alternative risk transfer (ART), lenders, investment banks, state insurance regulators, debtors and creditors of insolvent insurers and trade associations.
Alan advises reinsurers in disputes and is experienced in the detailed analysis and preparation of reinsurance agreements and loss portfolio transfers. He has conducted international reinsurance fraud investigations and is experienced in run-off and insurer insolvency.
Alan's insurance linked securities practice is focused on regulation XXX and AXXX reserve funding transactions, policy warehouse lending facilities, and cat bonds and life settlements, premium finance, life, and annuity securitizations.
• Both insurers and reinsurers have depended on Alan in regulatory matters, in the areas of formation and licensing, mergers and acquisitions in the fields of life and health, and property and casualty, rehabilitation and liquidation matters and mutual holding company conversions.
• Represented clients in commutations, has structured off-shore reinsurance transactions and analyzed reinsurance portfolios in the reinsurance industry.
• Represented insurance companies as investors, lenders and as investment bankers, and in public offerings and private placements.
• Involved in the representation of clients in corporate governance matters, including meetings of shareholders and directors.
• Represents clients in the sale and acquisition of insurance producers and in connection with regulatory matters ranging from licensing to attorney general and insurance department investigations.
• Represented mutual insurers in mutual affiliation transactions.
• Challenged by the maze of state legislative and regulatory developments, Alan has taken clients involved in administrative hearings before state insurance departments.
• Life settlement companies regularly seek Alan's advice on regulatory, strategic and structuring issues.
• Structured and implemented clients' plans designed to create new services and products in the health care industry.
• Counsel to overseas insurers with activities in the U.S. or in other countries, he has worked on numerous corporate transactions involving the raising of corporate capital to be deployed at Lloyd's of London.
Professional Affiliations and Awards
• Member, Connecticut Bar Association
• Member, International Bar Association
• Member, Federation of Regulatory Counsel Inc
• Member, American Bar Association
Publications & Presentations
• Co-Author, "Connecticut Continues Push to Attract Captives by
Amending Laws," FORC Journal: Vol. 26 Edition 2, Summer 2015
• Panelist, "How Global or National Do You Need To Be?," Sandpiper
Partners' Eighth Annual Leading Law Firms Conference, New York,
November 14, 2014
Insurance: Regulatory &
Public Law, Governmental & Public
Transactional & Regulatory
J.D., Brooklyn Law School, 1985
B.A., Clark University, 1982
District of Columbia, 2012
New York, 2014