OIR Issues Memorandum Guidance to Health Insurers
- In the wake of the coronavirus outbreak, the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation (OIR) has issued two memorandums intended to provide guidance to health insurers, health maintenance organizations, and other health entities authorized to conduct business in the state. The Informational Memorandums were issued on March 6, 2020 and March 10, 2020, respectively, and can be viewed in full here:
OIR-20-01M - Insurance Coverage for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
OIR-20-02M - Early Prescription Refills Pursuant to Executive Order 20-52
OIR Gives Guidance for Business Continuity and Continuity of Operations Plans
- In response to Governor Ron DeSantis establishing COVID-19 response protocols and directing a public health emergency in Florida, the Office of Insurance Regulations (OIR) released the following: all companies regulated by the OIR are directed to review and update their Business Continuity Plans and/or Continuity of Operations Plans Immediately and should alert the OIR if they enact either one or both of those plans. More information on what these plans need to include can be found here
OIR Information Memorandum to All Insurers Provides Continued Guidance for COVID-19 Response
- On March 25, 2020, the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation (OIR) issued Informational Memorandum OIR 20-04M
to all insurers in response to Executive Order 20-51 issued by Governor Ron DeSantis establishing COVID-19 response protocols and directing a public health emergency in Florida. The memorandum provides guidance on leniency on premium payments, removing exclusions on certain personal auto exclusions, underwriting and claims inspections, and other general considerations.
Workers’ Compensation Insurance Guidance Related to COVID-19 Distributed by OIR
- On April 6, 2020, the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation (OIR) distributed Informational Memorandum OIR 20-05M
to all regulated insurers and entities authorized to write workers’ compensation insurance. The memorandum reminds insurers to apply workers’ compensation coverage on a non-discriminatory basis and establishes the OIR’s expectation of insurers’ compliance with all provisions of Florida’s Workers’ Compensation Law.
OIR Issues Telehealth and Pharmacy Audit Guidance for Response to COVID-19
- The Florida Office of Insurance Regulation (OIR) issued Information Memorandum OIR 20-06M
to encourage insurers, health maintenance organizations, and other health entities to broaden access to telehealth services and requests insurers and Pharmacy Benefit Mangers to transition to an electronic audit process in order to avoid unnecessary risk and maintain social distancing.