David is the firm’s managing partner who also leads the business law department. David provides clients with practical day-to-day counsel on business matters. His practice is focused on business law, corporate mergers and acquisitions and insurance regulatory law. David represents businesses of all sizes in matters ranging from entity selection and formation to contract drafting and negotiation to mergers and acquisitions. He represents insurance companies with licensing, compliance and other issues before the North Carolina Department of Insurance. David is one of only two lawyers in the State of North Carolina who has earned membership into the Federation of Regulatory Counsel, a multi-national association of lawyers who have significant experience in the practice of insurance regulatory and corporate law. David has also served as general counsel to the North Carolina Surplus Lines Association since 2004.
Examples of recent mergers and acquisitions transactions ranging from $1 million to $100 million include the representation of:
– seller corporation and individual family members in the sale of the stock of a large building supply company to a rollup buyer, including the sale of commercial property by related limited liability companies and the filing of federal Hart-Scott-Rodino notification documents.
– buyers in connection with the purchase of the stock of a local construction and demolition debris landfill.
– buyer in the purchase of a North Carolina manufacturing subsidiary of a large company divesting itself of the subsidiary line of business, including the formation of the purchasing entities, preparation of the joint venture operating documents and related real estate holding companies.
– buyer in the expansion of manufacturing operations including the purchase of operating facilities in Wisconsin.
– buyer in the purchase of the stock of an insurance company subsidiary (and several related companies) from a publicly traded seller, including the filing of Hart-Scott-Rodino notification documents.
– seller of an automobile collision center with multiple locations, including related real property sale and lease transactions.
– members of a large reinsurance intermediary, brokerage and capital market services company in the sale of all of the company assets.
– owner of an established insurance brokerage business in the merger with a regional broker.
– insurance holding company buyer in the purchase of a large property and casualty insurance company from a publicly traded seller, including the purchase of related subsidiary companies and the filing of federal Hart-Scott-Rodino notification documents.
– buyer in the purchase of several waste transfer stations.
– seller of several dry cleaning businesses to various buyers over a period of several years.
– buyers and sellers in connection with various medical, dental and veterinary practices.
– insurance holding company buyer of a Texas specialty lines insurance company.
Asset and Stock Sales & Purchases
Mergers & Acquisitions
Officer & Director Representation
Publications & Presentations
David is a frequent contributor of insurance law topics and regulations published by the Federation of Regulatory Counsel.
He has been a guest lecturer at University of North Carolina Dental School – “Purchase and Sale of Dental Practice and Associate Contracts and Commercial Leasing”
Virginia Episcopal Preparatory School
Lynchburg, Virginia 1983
UNC at Chapel Hill, B.S 1988
UNC at Chapel Hill School of Law, J.D. 1995
State of North Carolina 1995
U.S. District Courts: Eastern, Middle
and Western Districts
North Carolina State and Federal Courts
Supreme Court of the United States
North Carolina Bar Association
Wake County Bar Association - Business Law Section member
Federation of Regulatory Counsel (FORC), Chairman & President, Director at Large
Delta Waterfowl Foundation, former area Chairman
The Salvation Army Community Center, Raleigh, NC, Advisory Board 2011-present
Make A Wish Foundation, Legal Review Committee 2004-05
Christ Episcopal Church, Finance Committee Member, 2007-10
Terpsichorean Club of North Carolina, Chairman 2002
Milburnie Fishing Club, former Director
Honors & Awards
2014-15 SuperLawyers® list for Corporate/Business Law
Named Legal Elite in Corporate Law by Business North Carolina Magazine
Best Lawyers in America® 2013, 2014, 2015 for Insurance Law
LexisNexis® Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
Named “Movers & Shakers” by Business Leader Magazine, 2008