David served as the Director of Insurance for the State of Arizona under Governor Bruce Babbitt between 1984 and 1987. During that time he was actively engaged in the leadership of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), serving two years as the Chairman of the Western Zone of the NAIC. David was fortunate to have been selected to serve on the Executive Committee of the NAIC as well and, during his tenure, chaired the Workers Compensation Task Force as well as the Accident and Health Insurance Committee. David was instrumental in the drafting and passage of several NAIC models, including the Risk Retention Model Act and the Long Term Care Model Act, among others. While Insurance Director David was privileged to have been asked to serve on the U.S. Secretary of Health & Human Services’ Task Force on Long-Term Health Care Policies, the Stanford Research Institute Long Term Care Advisory Board, the Governor’s Private Sector Task Force on Long Term Care and the University of Arizona College of Business & Public Administration National Board of Advisors. During the time he served as Insurance Director David was considered to be an accessible insurance regulator but one who was, at the same time, an aggressive protector of the interests of Arizona insurance consumers.
Since leaving public service in 1987, David has been an attorney in private practice whose focus has been, virtually exclusively, directed to the practice of insurance regulatory law and government relations. In conjunction with his law practice, he has had the opportunity to speak to a wide array of special interest groups on a national basis about many aspects of insurance law and has written a number of articles on matters related to insurance regulatory matters. As part of his practice David has been retained as an expert witness on insurance matters including insurance bad faith and the standard of care of insurance producers on approximately 200 occasions. All that being said, David’s first priority has always been the provision of legal advice and assistance to those who need his services.
David is currently the Chair of the Insurance, Regulatory, and Government Affairs Practice Area of Kutak Rock LLP, a national law firm of more than 500 attorneys with offices from coast to coast.
• Childers, S. David and Jennifer L. Kraham, “The Future of Insurance Rescission,” FORC Quarterly Journal of Insurance Law and Regulation, Vol. 23, Ed. 3 (Fall 2012).
• Childers, S. David and Christy A. Chism, FORC Quarterly Journal of Insurance Law and Regulation, “The Extraordinary Scope and Potential Regulatory Pitfalls of the Insurance Fraud Protection Act,” Vol. IX, Ed. IV (Dec. 1997).
• Childers, S. David and Robin G. Bradshaw, FORC Quarterly Journal of Insurance Law and Regulation, “Application of Arizona’s Mandatory Automobile Insurance Renewal Laws to a Withdrawing Insurer,” Vol. IV, Ed. 3 (Sept. 1992).
• Childers, S. David and Michael E. Hensley, National Business Institute, “Complying With the 1996 Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.” (1997).
• Childers, S. David, State Bar of Arizona Continuing Legal Education, Insurance Laws A to Z, “Public Records, Bad Faith and the Arizona Department of Insurance.” (June, 2004).
• Childers, S. David, FORC Quarterly Journal of Insurance Law and Regulation, “Public Records and the Arizona Department of Insurance,” Vol. XV, Ed. VII (Sept. 2004).
• Childers, S. David, Fourth Edition to the Annotations to Surplus Lines Statutes, prepared by the Excess, Surplus Lines and Reinsurance Committee of the American Bar Association (July 2005).
• Law & Politics of Health Care Reform – ABA Annual Meeting (Toronto, CAN), 08/03/11
• Insurance Issues related to Self-Storage Industry – Annual Self-Storage Exposition (Las Vegas, NV), 04/02/11
• Arizona Automobile Insurance Issues – ACIC General Counsel Seminar (Las Vegas, NV), 07/23/13
• The State of Arizona Producer Fees – Independent Agents and Brokers Association of Arizona (CE) (Phoenix, AZ), 09/16/13
• The Development of the Law Regarding Expert Witness Testimony Under Frye and Daubert – Federation of Expert Witness Association Annual Meeting (Tempe, AZ), 04/26/14
• The Role of the Paralegal in Expert Witness Matters – National Association of Legal Assistants/Paralegals (Phoenix, AZ), 02/17/11
• State Insurance Regulatory Trends – Audatex Annual Meeting (Scottsdale, AZ)
• Key Developments in Insurance Regulatory Law -- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Capitol (CLE) (Phoenix, AZ), January, 2004
• Public Records and the Arizona Department of Insurance (Phoenix, AZ) June, 2004
• Duty of Care of Insurance Brokers (Structured Settlement Planners Annual Meeting) March 11, 2016
• To Fee or Not to Fee (2016 Update) – Independent Agents and Brokers Association of Arizona (CE) (Phoenix, AZ), June 2, 2016